Monday, August 6, 2012

My Dreams.......


When I find something that touches my heart, I follow it.  One of my dreams is to help children achieve their dreams.  I have always wanted to be involved with organizations that support children.  I hope to make a difference, somehow, in the world with my writing, which is inspired by my own journey in life.  I know how difficult life can be from personal experience.  My passion comes from seeing and experiencing how important support and encouragement  are to children and their families.  No matter how difficult the circumstances along the way, anything is possible eventhough at times we only have hope keeping us afloat.  I feel that every problem brings with it an opportunity for things to be much better than we ever imagined.

There is a strong connection for me with the WithKids organization because I have struggled with believing in myself my entire life.  Knowing that someone cares makes all the difference in the life of a child, single parent or family.

“Once Upon a Time” was a gift to me in the form of amazing actors portraying fairytale characters, as well as their alter egos in a reality-based world where no happy endings existed.  At a time in my life when I felt there would be no happy endings, it gave me hope that the curse could be broken and that magic in my life was possible again.

Having had a love of fairytales since childhood, I was drawn to “Once Upon a Time” from the beginning and discovered actors I had never seen before which opened up an entirely new world for me.  I was fascinated by Mr. Carlyle’s portrayal of the infamous character of fairytale lore, Rumplestiltskin.  In my search to learn more about his previous work late one night, I found the interview he had done with WithKidsGlasgow, which captured my heart.  His interview was so heartfelt in every way, especially when he spoke about the children and families, and of his father.  I was inspired by his relationship with his father, the love he had for him, the care and sacrifices that were made, and how his father supported him unconditionally and without question in his quest to be an actor.  His father encouraged him to do what was in his heart, which I feel is the key that opens the magic door to the life we are all meant to have.  Mr. Carlyle’s interview and the information I found inspired me to move forward to find a way I could help. 

After this, I started seeking out information about WithKidsGlasgow, as well as following the “Once Upon a Time” fan sites and noticed that people were undertaking various fundraising efforts which drew me in even further, and I wanted to find some way to be a part of this effort.  I was quite taken with WithKidsGlasgow and their work in connection with instilling hope and confidence in children’s lives.  I feel every child should have access to someone in their lives who will give the support they need, such as WithKidsGlasgow who provide services to both children and families who need help in overcoming difficulties and to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The interview and WithKidsGlasgow’s work resonated with me beyond words and was a catalyst for me to promote my book and not stop this time.  I now have a reason that compels me to not give up.   As Mr. Carlyle said in the interview, “…..don’t drop the ball”.  And, “……don’t ever let anyone take your dreams from you”.

I am hoping that others will become aware of all that is going on in this world today more than ever and be open to helping in any way they can and use their talents as a catalyst to do so.  There are so many children, families and organizations that are in need of support and wonderful ambassadors such as Mr. Carlyle.   I believe that anything is possible and that there are people in this world that really care and “Once Upon a Time” has brought a very giving group of people together who want to contribute in any way possible in connection with WithKidsGlasgow work in helping children and families work through the issues they face each day.  WithKidsGlasgow is an impressive organization in providing a myriad of support services to children and their families.

I have offered to donate 50% of all profits from the sale of my book, “Clams in Cups:  Legends of the Heart” for the next year to WithKidsGlasgow, with the hope it will help support some part of their extensive and amazing efforts.

I am grateful to have been asked to contribute to the WithKidsGlasgow site and want to thank the staff, as well as Derek Howie for allowing me to be a part of their efforts.  One of my dreams is coming true.  My message - please remember that no matter what, you are not “less than”……..you are MORE!


1 comment:

Katy Huth Jones said...

Hi, Diane! I love the title of your collection of stories. The font on this entry is much more difficult to read than the ones below. Have you tried white letters on this wonderful purple background?